Life.

December 12th, 2011

Witches of Northumberland

Posted by julieengel in Uncategorized

Florence tapped some vampire dust out of the tiny bottle into our cauldron as Diana put the orgorl oil and pedals from the Narcissus flower. Now it was time for us to each give a drop of blood and a strand of hair, so we all pricked our fingers and plucked hair without hesitation. After about five minutes of stirring the potion, it was time for us to drink ourselves invisible. Florence emptied the potion into three bottles, and gave us each one with a precaution, “We need this potion to last us until we get to Scott.. A sip of it will assure your invisibility but for so long, so be sure sip some every hour. We cannot risk being seen.” And on that note, we clanked our bottles together and took a swig each. As I looked around at Diana and Florence, I truly thought we had failed because I could see both of them quite clearly. Looking past them and into the mirror then looking back at our circle, my worries were put to an end. “Relax, Lucie. We can see each other but other people can’t see us. Here, take this mirror and carry it in your pocket. If you ever have a doubt that the potion is still working, just look for your reflection and you’ll know what to do from there,” said Florence.
As we sped down the highway about half way through Cumbria, several chills passed throughout my body. Something wasn’t right, but I couldn’t figure out just what. Right as I was about to speak, the tires screeched, and the car came to a sudden halt. A man had been hit and left for dead on the open road, and would’ve been pummeled again if Diana hadn’t seen them. Florence, who was woken from her nap by the sudden stop, ran to the front of the car. “What happened?! Is everyone okay?!” she cried. “It’s a hit and run! We have to go help him. We can’t just leave a man in the middle of the road!” said Diana. “Oh my God,” said Florence fearfully, “He’s here. We have to leave and we have to leave NOW. That’s not a dead man, that’s my father! Quick, the both of you, get over here.” Florence murmured a few words and with the flick of her wand, we were outside of the car. Her father was in the car within seconds, tearing it apart to find any clues as to where we had went, but we didn’t stay around to watch. It was clear that we were never going to make it to Northumberland without a fight, and so we did what any witch in our situation would do, we cracked open Mum’s thick brown spell book.

One Response to ' Witches of Northumberland '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' Witches of Northumberland '.

1.    jenny abeles said,

on December 16th, 2011 at 3:04 pm

hi Julie. I love your theme; anything magical or occult immediately has my attention, and I don’t think I’m alone in that. I can understand your anxiety about finding an ending, and once you’ve found it, you’ll know more about what this story means and says and how to revise so as to highlight these themes in meaningful, provocative ways. Remember the ending to “The Tiger’s Bride”? The beasty bad guy turns out not to be bad or wrong at all, subverting our expectation for how that kind of story should end. Maybe you could do something similarly surprising here. You’ve got conflict here, as the witches gird themselves for battle, but what do you want to say about conflict and how to resolve it? Your ending will be a comment on your feelings about that. Is this as simple as good vs evil? How to complicate that paradigm?

I really like your description of the enchanted car, and that’s precisely the kind of thing that appeals to readers intrigued by magic. It’s an exotic subject, and your descriptions of the characters, their clothes, their implements, their surroundings will go far in enchanting your readers, casting the spell over them that makes this fiction sound real and detailed and rich, a parallel world as substantial as ours.

Eager to see what you do here! Good luck with that ending…

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.