Life.

November 7th, 2011

Witches in Northumberland

Posted by julieengel in Uncategorized

Being the newcomer in town is an uncomfortable and awkward feeling, yet there’s something comforting about being an outsider. People are always intrigued by the mysterious new person, and God knows I could use some normal friends right now. They start with small talk and personal questions like, “Do you have a boyfriend?” and “What kind of music are you into?” But it always comes down to, “Why’d you move here?” and “Where is your family from?” Nothing is easier than fooling them with smoothly delivered lies and an innocent smile, but am I a fool for thinking it wise? I yearn to have normal friends with typical problems in their average lives, but I am strange girl, with peculiar problems in my extraordinary life.
My sister Diana and I have been traveling throughout England since our Mum died. Our lives have been put on hold because fate had other plans for us. You see, Mum wasn’t your average soccer Mum, she was a clever and powerful witch. Before Mum died, she gave us her thick brown book, battered and tatty from being passed down through the years. She explained, “This book holds great knowledge, and with that, great power. The history of our people, of your family, lies within the frayed pages of this book. You’ve read the stories and studied the spells, now you must prepare to join the circle. Go to England; Use the book and talisman to guide you.” After Mum died, Diana and I set off to England to find the others that would complete our circle, and so it goes.
It’s been three months since Diana and I have ventured from Salem to our journey throughout England. The longest we’ve stayed in one place has varied from several days to several weeks, but never do we have any permanent stability. Most of our time is spent using the talisman and spell book to guide us to local covens and witches. Mum said the talisman would light up when the connection between myself, Diana, and a witch that is meant to join our circle have met. So far, Diana and I have yet to see the glorious gleaming green gem illuminate, but our hopes are still high. Though the witches we’ve met have not been the witches we need to complete our circle, they have helped strengthen our magic. Diana and I together have learned to draw energy and power from our dead ancestors, who have helped guide us to Lancashire.
Our hostel in Blackburn, Lancashire is packed with runaway teenagers and low budget tourists, most of whom cleared out for the day. Diana and I ventured off into town as well, searching for some Wiccan stores to purchase a few candles, incense, and oils from. As we strolled down Main Street, a small black house with candles in each and every window came into view. The house caught my attention from the corner of my eye, and was located on a shady dead end block just to the right of us. We walked down the eerie block towards the house which had a wonderful and resplendent store sign that read, “House of Enchantments.” Before we reached the top of the stairs, the door crept open and a soft, friendly voice invited us in.
The store was lit only by candles places strategically on various bookshelves, tables, and on the wooden floor. Incense filled the air with intense aromatic pleasures, both lavender and vanilla scents. Gems and stones decorated the glass shelves alongside talismans and other tools which my eyes have yet to see. As I wandered towards the back of the store, I was greeted by the woman with the velvet voice who was already acquainted with my sister. And then I saw it. The talisman was illuminated, glimmering its glorious green color in our eyes. We finally found one.

5 Responses to ' Witches in Northumberland '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' Witches in Northumberland '.

1.    samantha said,

on November 7th, 2011 at 8:22 pm

This is pretty cool. It reminds of of that new show ‘Secret Circle’ and one of my favorite shows,’Charmed’. There’s always a book of shadows or a family heirloom that helps the next generation find what they need. The thing that stands out in your story is the location and the language. I can’t wait to see what happens next!

2.    Julie said,

on November 8th, 2011 at 1:58 am

I’ve never seen the Secret Circle, but I used to be addicted to Charmed. I hope I don’t disapoint!

3.    Rachel Golden said,

on November 8th, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I found this so interesting, and I can’t wait to see how it progresses. If you were writing something longer than a short story I would definitely wait in line to read it. It’s a really first draft, because it seems like a finished piece. Your narrator has an interesting voice….almost that of an “old soul”. Awesome job!

4.    julieengel said,

on November 9th, 2011 at 12:38 am

Thank you!

5.    rafalborynski said,

on November 16th, 2011 at 12:26 am

Stories involving the supernatural rub me the right way. We have to live with the same old rules of reality all the time, but at least our writing can afford to be a bit kinky. The one thing I would change in this story if I was writing it would be to make it not necessarily scary, but a little bit spooky, mysterious, imperative. If I was writing this story, I would write that if you and your sister do not find a fellow witch within an allotted time, you will perish. This would add a sense of conflict and suspense to the story.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.