Life.

October 3rd, 2011

We Are The 99%

Posted by julieengel in Uncategorized

As of September 17, 2011, protesters have been occupying Liberty Square near Wall Street as part of “Operation Occupy Wall St.” The protest continues to grow and spread throughout the country. There are now “Occupy Wall St” protests going on in Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Puerto Rico. The protest is calling for the 99% to come together to fight against the 1% that rule over us. The main reason behind the protest is to “end the monied corruption of our democracy.” For example, J.P. Morgan Chase just donated $4.6 million dollars to the NYPD a few days ago. Gee, I wonder why! This country has become so corrupt, it is the United States of Corporations, not the U.S.A.

If you paid taxes, you’ve paid more than General Electric did. If you are in debt to student loans and still cannot find a job, you are in the 99%. If you were member of any military service, and can barely afford to pay rent and feed yourself, you are in the 99%. Unless you are a billionaire, YOU ARE THE 99%.

As Occupy Wall St continues to gain more attention and more protesters join, the more fearful the government gets. One of the most important parts of this protest is the peace factor. The protesters have vowed to remain peaceful and have done so even despite the NYPD’s best efforts to change that. The NYPD has arrested hundreds of protesters for NO valid legal reason. Several girls were penned in with an orange fence and sprayed with mace, even though they were being completely peaceful and did nothing out of line. There are tons of videos and photos of the recent police brutality circulating around social networking sites like Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Flickr. A recent march down the Brooklyn Bridge also got a few hundred protesters arrested, which is being called a case of entrapment now.

A few marines got wind of this and decided to take matters into their own hands. The marines overseas have had to deal with so much, yet when they return as “vets” they are offered nothing in return. Many are left to work jobs that pay nothing and offer no health insurance. It shows how much the government doesn’t care about their people. This country is all about the money, greed, and lies. All of the wars these men and women fought in were so someone could benefit financially. So now, about 15+ marines are making their way to NYC to protect the protesters in Liberty Park. The way they see it, they fought for America, not for Wall St; they are the 99%. The NYPD will have to deal with these Marines before they can attack innocent and peaceful protesters. I have the upmost respect for these marines. I am extremely happy that they are joining in this protest to take our country back. And the marines that are not able to make it are showing support through social networking sites by posting and rebloging/reposting all things Occupy Wall St.

One Response to ' We Are The 99% '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' We Are The 99% '.

1.    jenny abeles said,

on October 4th, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Hi Julie. I am of the same mind as you on all of these matters. I am having a difficult time responding to this post because I feel too affected by the pictures and one-page stories. I have my own 99% story, and as desperate and sad as I’ve felt about my own life and well-being lately, I’m not as bad off as these.

I hope you don’t mind, but I’m going to post this to my facebook as encouragement to my friends to come out a protest tomorrow, wch should be a big day of national protest. Maybe that’s the best way I can respond to what you’ve written here.

I love that the Marines are protecting the demonstrators. RIGHT ON!

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.